Saturday, April 26, 2008

...it takes a village...

I've heard this term "...it takes a village" more times in the past two weeks then I can count on two hands. Which is odd, you almost never hear it...but these are what I've heard it applied to.
...it takes a village to...
teach...
help a teacher...
raise a child...
heal a heart...
build a community...
help a family...

I'm sure that these are not all it takes a village for...this is just what applies to me at the moment. I realize in more ways than one, I'm NOT the only one making my life happen. I have to give credit where credit is due. The one person I was not giving any credit to, was God. He and I used to be like this (insert fingers crossed tightly here) and we aren't so much at the current moment but I'm working on it.
We do this "one thing" at girls group, where you need to look/listen for the one thing you are supposed to get from Mass the one message God wants you to hear...and Fr. said "whatever you want in your life, ask God for it." This hit me really hard, because I never ask God for things for myself, it's always for others. My stubborn-ness never let me ask for things I knew I could make happen on my own. I'm realizing now, things don't ever really happen on your own. It takes a village, and in that village is God.
We had student led conferences this week at school, and I realized that many of the parents have NO idea what grades their students are getting. It takes the teachers communicating wiith the parents and the students communicating with everyone to make it happen. Graduation doesn't happen on their own, it takes all their teachers they've ever had, parents, grandparents, principals, vice principals, secretaries, custodians, school nurses, and para-educators to make it happen!
A student of mine had her brother pass away in Iraq, a few weeks ago. I'm realizing that it takes a village to cure someone from grieving, and she now eats lunch in my room more often than before because I'm the only teacher that has told her, there's no time limit on your grief, and now she opens up to me about her brother, he was 22...a year younger than I am now, next month a turn 24...I can't imagine not living the past 2 years of my life.
When I was feeling "blah" about being single, I read this book, and it said to ask any of your friends who have kids or are married what they miss about being single. So I asked a few, and they said "me time" so instead of hitting the gym last night, I stayed home and watched a movie that was on TV, finished knitting a scarf, and just enjoyed time with me and my doggies. It was the best night I've had in a long time, because instead of moping about...I was enjoying my time with myself, because whenever I get married...or have a kid...or anything, I'm not going to have those nights anymore...so I made a mental change to enjoy them all, any chance I get them.
Anyhow, this is a longer blog, I haven't blogged in awhile! :)
I've been shopping for Condos online...any advice anyone?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Random Ramblings from the inside of my Realm.